Jan 21, 2009

Inaugural Benediction



I didn't realize that I wasn't already embracing what is right.
And with Cherokee blood in my veins, I prefer "Native American" over "red man"...

I can't speak for the "yellow" and "brown" people (yellow people = The Simpsons??), but didn't Martin Luther King, Jr. dream to see a nation where people are judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character?

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

Odd to have racial comments in a prayer. Notice our president's fade noticeably during the "white" comment. After all, he's half white. Maybe he was offended as I was. I pray for President Obama. He has a heck of a tough job ahead of him.





No comments: