Jan 9, 2009

Shampoo and conditioner

Sometimes you really get what you pay for.

I'm a natural blonde, sort of a medium-ash shade that lightens in the sun.
But being genetically inclined to growing a prematurely pigment-challenged mane (my mom was fully-gray at 40), I've been cheating on nature just a little bit for about 15 years or so. I color the grey hair back to my original blonde color... at home, thanks to Clairol. Being a tightwad (thanks, dad) I've been using inexpensive shampoos and conditioners over the years, and I guess it was showing. My hair would reflect the light really weird in photographs. Not obvious, but something just wasn't right. I'm all like, OMG, that's not me!! Apparently the coloring actually changes the structure of each hair shaft. Or so i've been told. Also, grey hair has a different, somewhat coarser texture even before it's dyed and sent to bed without its dinner.

Recently, I purchased some mid-priced shampoo and conditioner designed specifically for color-treated hair. And guess what?!! My hair looks normal, both in person AND in flash photos!
Thank you, Paul Mitchell. I think I paid around $19 per 33 oz. bottle (fragrancenet.com, not to mention a good percentage cashback from fatwallet.com), but it seems to have beat by far the $1.25 for 16 oz. stuff I was buying before (i swear, i won't say it was Suave or VO5, really). -hangs head in shame- I did find Pert to be a not-so-bad shampoo for the price, but they didn't have one specifically for color-treated hair. And I have to admit, the VO5 strawberries and cream conditioner was yummy-smelling (but not so tasty).

Some things you can skimp on, and other things not.
I am cheap.
But not that cheap...

No comments: